Friday, November 14, 2008

Unbelievable Talent??

Please report to the Library at 8:05 for a brief meeting. That was the annoucement this morning. Whenever you hear an announcement like that and it is not a scheduled meeting you are left wondering what is going on.

For the past few weeks our network has been experiencing problems and our wonderful tech guy has been working so hard to get the problem fixed. It all came to head in the last few days because yes the network was having issues and yes we use computers these days for just about everything. This morning it was brought to our attention that some hackers got into our system and stole our passwords, changed grades in our online grading system, and were screwing around with teachers files. Now we need to change all of our passwords...no problem, but every 45 days we need to change them. I may go crazy trying to keep track of them all.

Just in case you were wondering about the culprits....


No, they weren't some high tech thieves, they were 11 and 12 year old kids.

That's why the cops were here yesterday interviewing these kids. Can you imagine doing those things? I wouldn't even begin to know how to break into networks and get passwords. That is so crazy.

3 comments:

Adlibby said...

Crazy like a fox. Those must be some darn smart 11 and 12 year olds. I'm not saying that their parents should be proud... but probably saving up for a good college. I had a crush on a boy who hacked our school's computer system -- but that was highschool when they were kept in the basement in a cool room and we were learning Fortran and ASCII. They busted him, and then they put him to work programming for the school.

On the other hand... I feel your pain. I have a terrible memory. I used to have a file of passwords on my computer, but... you guessed it. It was password encrypted and I can't remember the damn password!

Yellow Beads said...

wow, that is wild!!!

Tricia said...

tip...I also have to change my password every 45 days and I use the same password and then change the number at the end. I figure I'll eventually figure it out.