Monday, November 17, 2008

Going Dry...until Thanksgiving

I went running yesterday with hubby and bf Cari. Let's just say it was mighty cold (windchill around 20), my face was frozen, my pants kept falling down, and my stomach was in knots (too many Hook and Ladders the night before). I did run 5 miles. I did okay..48 minutes. The turkey run is coming up. I want to do great, so no more Hook and Ladder until after the race. What kills me is that Cari ran 4 more miles than me ( 9 total) and she drank just as much as I did. WTF?? I will say that she is way younger than me so maybe that is why. Saturday night was a celebration of the Wisconsin Badger win over Minnesota. Go Badgers!!

I went to buy the book New Moon yesterday and it was gone. I was so bummed about that. I really wanted to start the book. So instead I bought the soundtrack to the movie Twilight. I listened to it on my way to work today. I really liked it and will download it to my MP3 player. That should help on race day.

I took the girls to the mall this weekend. Alyssa had money burning a hole in her pocket so I took her and Emma came along too. I knew I had another reason to take Alyssa shopping...it was time for the sex talk. There has been some recent discussions within her friends, that I thought it was time to find out what she knew and how much I needed to explain. In a nut shell she told me sex is getting naked and rubbing your body parts together. I told her you kind of understand and she thought doing that was nasty. I guess people call it doing "The Nasty." I continued to tell her it really isn't gross or anything and that you need to make good choices and should fully understand the meaning. I asked how old you should be and she said 24. For now, I will leave it at that. We will talk about this again I am sure of it and hopefully she still thinks 24. My little girl is growing up and she is only 12.

14 comments:

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I know what you mean, I can't and will not drink anything before I have to run. It really slows me down and I feel sick. It sucks because are long run is on Sat. and hubby always want to have wine or go out on Friday night...

My son is 11 and I have already started the "talks" with him. They grow up way to fast now a days!

Dr. Wifey said...

i went to buy the breaking dawn saturday and they were out of it! so i will try to find it again tonight

Katie Ryan said...

I can't wait until my new puppy can go jogging with me.

Adlibby said...

I'm in awe of you! I wouldn't run that far in that weather if I was being chased by bears! =)

On the sex talk thing, oh man! Been there. If you have some free time, go read my blog entry called Warning PG 13 http://adlibby-on-the-loose.blogspot.com/2008/09/warning-pg-13.html

-- It's a funny recounting of how my daughter caught me offguard on the whole sex talk thing.

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

Good going on the run even though you seemed a little disappointed in yourself. Sorry about the book. The sex talk went great LOL I mean 24 is awesome, and something for sure my husband would love my daughter to say ....

Exhilarated Runner Girl...'Cheeks' said...

Way too funny!!!!!! you forgot to mention that bff had to take a sh** so bad at mile 7.5,,,,the last mile and a 1/2 were a complete haze as i was wanting a restroom badly!!!! LOL!
You did great on the run, and you are so ready for the Turkey run!!! gobble-gobble!
As for the SEX talk, wow, that's impressive that she thinks she should be 24, what a relief, huh,,,,,that is at least for this wk as the sogga continues on life with a tween! I'm watching to take lessons in a few years!
guess who

Tammy said...

The one and only girl next door. Thanks for the comment "Cheeks"

Tammy said...

Adlibby~ I went back to read your PG-13 post. I forgot to mention I did talk about the sperm and the egg and she was so confused about that.

Cynthia said...

You are a bigger woman than I...I totally bailed on running this weekend. It was cold!

Yellow Beads said...

I lose a pound of weight everytime I go dry for a week--no fooling!

Exhilarated Runner Girl...'Cheeks' said...

A pound a wk when dry,,,,there's my diet solution! There's gotta be a better way

Laurie // 312 Beauty said...

Wow! Alyssa is so grown up now - that is hilarious.

Are those books any good? May have to borrow the first. Do you still have it?

Tricia said...

Book? Is this for you or Alyssa? I never heard of the moon one before so I looked it up online and it is for young adults. Did I miss something? or is it a sex book?

Betsy Mae said...

new moon is great...wish you lived closer, you could borrow mine.

i'm nauseated right now so i'm not going to the whole drinking subject...my nausea is from the gastro intesinal bug i managed to catch from my little 'bug'.

ahh the sex talk. well lets just say that your daughter is lucky you talked about it because my mom sure never talked to me about it. i find that kids can handle alot more than we think they can regarding most subjects. good for you for telling her it's not gross, i think all girls should be told that it's wonderful but know the risks too...again, in my family it wasn't regarded as something special or nice.