Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weekend Scene Times 3

Part 1 of my weekend......

When I turned forty about 6 months ago, my friends came up with a list of things I needed to do in my fortieth year. One of the things I needed to do was to go to a bar all by myself and order a drink and drink alone. For some reason I thought I could never do this because I seriously would feel like a big loser. So, for a gift they even went out and bought me a couple of bar tokens for a free drink. The bar is this local saloon about a mile from my house. So, on Friday I got a text from my friend Cari ~ Denny's? (that is the bar) I texted her back and said sure....so when I got home from work Friday night, ate a little dinner (yogurt~too nervous to eat real food), my husband dropped me off (so I wouldn't chicken out I guess) and I walked into the bar ALL ALONE! There were about 6 people in the bar...it was about 6:30 pm. I felt like such a dork...paying with the free bar token, but I drank my beer and continued to text her until she met me out for a second drink. That was a crazy 15 minutes. So, I did it...I went to a local bar (dive) all by myself, even if it was only for 15 minutes, I did it. Let me tell you, I really didn't like it.


Part 2 of my weekend.....Soccer games are our life in the Fall. The two older kids play and my husband coaches the U13 team that Alyssa is on. So we spend about 3 hours of our day on Saturday's at the field. One of the things my husband does while coaching or being a spectator, is he loves to yell....quite loudly if I must say. Not a mean yell, but an encouraging shout! However, it drives me nuts and this Saturday EC (John's best bud) happened to be at the field right next to us, his daughter plays and he yells like John....loud, but encouraging. It drove me crazy...so here the two nut jobs are yelling at the games on Saturday.

Looking on and ready to shout!


John...EC....and Alyssa
Part 3 of my weekend....

On Saturday my very good friend Marie who I met 15 years ago when we were hired the same year to start a career in teaching. She had a surprise 4oth Birthday party. Her sister's did a great job pulling this off. It was suppose to be a Girl's Night Out with a few friends. Some of us surprised her at the restaurant...and her favorite Aunt and cousin surprised her in a limo ride to the restaurant. Awesome...she never saw any of this coming. After dinner we headed off to a place where she thought we would have some drinks and dancing. However, waiting for her was a huge bash with her family and friends that her sister's also planned. She was so shocked walking in that it took her a few minutes to realize what was going on. It was a great party.


The girls after dinner...The birthday girl is in the green top...her sister's are the two on the far right. Climbing up to Party with Jose...
Too bad it was a blow up bottle....

Happy Birthday Marie. You are an awesome friend. Thanks for all the great years we have gotten to know each other. You are truly terrific! Remember 40 is only a number and you look fabulous!! I left you a bottle of wine without a card...I know you will put it to good use.

I became a wino 2 years ago when I had a certain student in my class and now Marie is blessed with the same student...so the wine is for her to calm her nerves on a daily basis.

6 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

LOL you became a wino because of one of your students!

Katie Ryan said...

Lol. That is so funny. You are so brave.

morewineplease said...

you win the award for most adventure in a weekend!!! I am loud person at games too :(

Kat said...

That sounds like a great weekend! I love that you had a drink by yourself. That is awesome. I actually used to like doing stuff like that just to know I could. ;)

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

sounds like you had an awesome weekend. And I'm not sure if I could set at a bar alone for fifteen mins.. wow you did it!!! LOL I hate when dad's yell at the games... ERRR I know they mean well...

The party looked like a blast!! I can't imagine the surprise... happy birthday :)

Betsy Mae said...

You know what? I could totally go to a bar and have a drink on my own. Funny because those types of things I'm okay with yet I am paranoid to try a class in a gym!?? I go out for dinner by myself regularly on Tuesday nights, it's my 'me' night and I've grown to love my meals by myself.