Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Else???

I have an obsession to stay in shape. I exercise a lot, eat healthy, take vitamins, and other things to make sure that I stay in good condition. I eat chicken so much that my friends think I may grow feathers. I've even started eating yogurt again ( I use to gag at the thought)...but now I actually enjoy it. I decided that I should get a physical by my family doctor. I haven't had one in a while...I am 40...I should check to make sure I am good working order. I visit the OBGYN once a year, but that's it.


Yesterday I went to my family doctor for a physical appointment. I get checked in by the nurse who asks me some basic questions...any concerns...anything new you want to discuss with the doctor? I decided I should be very honest and say yes....I've noticed I have this lump near my groin. For some reason I feel ashamed to say that...I think I may have a hernia. Now, you have to understand this year I've had a lot of things go wrong with me spite doing everything right for myself. I developed Plantar Fasciitis ( severe foot pain)...I got that under control and feel good about that. I pulled a muscle in my hip and thought I could have bursitis...I thought how can I possibly have anything else wrong...


So the doctor comes in (a woman) she is very nice, but very hard to understand. Very thick foreign accent...so I have to really pay close attention to what she is saying to me. She is asking me all kinds of questions...medical histories, etc. However, I felt this was the most embarrasing part...do you smoke? no...yuck do you drink alcohol? I answered yes...socially. How much is socially? How many drinks do you have? What do you drink? I felt like I was being drilled by my parents when I was 16 or something. I couldn't be that honest...and tell her my love for Summer Shandy... or gin and tonic...or a good wine bender now and again...so I lied just a little and said weekends and just a couple of beers. Phew...that is over.


She examines me...all good. She gets to looking at my legs and probally thinks I am being beat or something. I have war wounds all over my legs...burns from the campfire...rope burns from
my exercise class, shaved off a wart by mistake, and many others. She was making some weird sounds like...ooh..ummm...I can only imagine what she was thinking.


Now it is time to check the groin...I do have a hernia....omg what else can go wrong with me. She tells me I have to get it checked and get it removed. Another surgery...another recovery...time off exercise...that will drive me nuts!!! I will do something...can't sit still. Thank goodness it won't happen for a little while. I still have some 5k times I want to beat. Another thing...at least this time my ailgments don't end with an "is."

1 comment:

Laurie // 312 Beauty said...

Awww, you and Dad can have hernia surgery together. That's very special - some good father/daughter bonding!