Monday, July 14, 2008

Race Day Sunday

It all started at 4:30 am on Sunday morning. First of all it was so hard to sleep on Saturday night. The anticipation of the next day. I was a wreck. Don't ask me why because I've done this before. I guess I really wanted to make sure I improved my time from last year. Last year I did the triathlon in about 1 hour 47 minutes.

We all arrived at the transition area around 5:45 am. We had approx. 45 minutes to eat, drink, set up our area before we needed to head down to the start line. We head down to the starting line by the beach. The event kicked off at 7:00 am. I started at 7:48 am in the water and off we go. I was very proud that I was able to do the front crawl across the lake. I was getting hit and kicked along the way. When your wave has at least 50 or more people in it, it is pretty easy to get bumped along the way.

I made my way out of the lake and to my bike. ( I didn't get lost!) I found it, but as I was at my towel, I had a brain funk....what to do? Should I put on my shoes first or shorts? I swear that took 30 seconds before I realized... Tammy GET GOING you need to beat your time. I head off out for the 12.4 mile bike ride. I felt great....what??? wind??? are you kidding me??? Yes, wind was a HUGE factor again. It was even worse than last year. The wind was a very gusty 20-30 mph. (the forecastors got that wrong). So needless to say...the bike time for me stayed about the same as I did last year (46 minutes).

Finally the run...I was very proud that I ran the whole thing. Last year I was too hot and tired and I needed to walk. This year no walking. I felt great. The first mile was the hardest. I felt some leg cramping, but I persisted. I picked up a little time on the last mile. It was great. The best is when you are getting near the end and you hear all the shouts and yells from the crowd. The excitement of finally finishing something so amazing.

I did it!! I finished my second triathlon and I beat my time from last year! I did it in
1 hour and 38 minutes. In my age category I placed 145 out of a field of 521. Not too bad. I have a new goal for next year...beat my time and do it by 1 hour 30 minutes.

Congratulations to Cari and Tricia for both beating their times from last year. I am so proud of both of you. Until next year ladies...or if not sooner for another??




Exiting the transition area for the bike ride.


I am running in to the finish. I am in the white shirt

and pink shorts.


Tammy, Cari, and Tricia...we did it!!


For the love of Summer Shandy! Cheers!

5 comments:

Laurie // 312 Beauty said...

You guys did great! Too bad about the wind. I bet that really set a lot of people back.

~JoAnne~ said...

Congratulations Tammy & Company!! Keep up the great work and dedication.

~JoAnne~

Shellie said...

Great job Tamnmy! What an accomplishment!!

Shellie said...

Oops, I mean Tammy. :)

Unknown said...

"For the love of the game" - Micheal Jordan

"For the love of Summer Shandy" - Tammy

I see a trend. Great Blog!

Mugsy