Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sausage Race

It all started at 6am today. Maybe a little last night too. ( I get race anxiety and usually can't sleep...I get all nervous) Anyways, I did another 5 K race today. It was the best time...until I realized I am not 21 anymore.
Today my friends, husband, and I signed up to do the Sausage Race in Milwaukee. It is through the Milwaukee Brewers and their charities. For anyone who does not know...there are 5 types of sausages that race on Miller Park each home game. So funny...anyways they raced in the 5K today too.

We got to the ball park around 8:30 am...put on our timing chip, bib number, got the music ready, and waited to start the big race. It was about 2,500 people. There was a group of walkers, but mostly runners. Thank goodness I got a front row spot...a timing chip...however, no timing mat at the beginning...only the end...how goofy is that.







The girls are ready to go...Heidi, Cari, Tammy.


It is time to go...I took off like a shot...thought I could hang with all those young kids and serious looking runners (that includes my bffs) anyways I did my first mile at 7:40. I thought if I keep up this speed it will be a miracle. The only thing was the sun was so HOT and it was 80 degrees already. I had to slow down a little because I was getting beat already. I approach mile 2 and am feeling so hot...thank goodness a little relief...we got to run into Miller Park and run in from right field..run around the outside of the field and exit out. That was way cool to run where some of my favorite Brewers play...Ryan Braun, JJ Hardy, Corey Hart, Prince Fielder, I was so in awww that seriously I wanted to walk just to have it last a little bit longer. But dah you are in a race...no walking allowed.


The last mile felt like forever. I knew it was almost done when I saw the tent and heard all the cheers. I finished the race in 28 minutes and 20 seconds. I placed 19th in my age group out of 126. I was pretty proud of that. I do hope to improve and I WILL. I crossed the finish , was looking for someone I knew and OMG are you serious? I felt that sensation in my mouth...the watering feeling...the feeling of you guessed it...I puked. Thank goodness there were some bushes close by. I felt much better. I only wanted water at this point...not the hot dog that they were giving out. So I drank my water and felt okay. We had a great morning...changed out of the sweaty clothes and took advantage of NO KIDS for a while kind of deal. We decided to head on over to the Miller Brewery for a tour. This is where I know I realized I am not 21... next story.



What a race...who is that guy to the right? He snuck in...



John, Tammy, Mr. Sausage, Pat (EC), Cari, Heidi


Great run bud...fishing tomorrow!


No comments: