Thursday, May 14, 2009

To Be A Winner is to ACT LIKE ONE

Should sports be ALL about the winning? Or games? Or anything for that matter?

I love to be on a winning team don't get me wrong, but I also think it is okay to lose. Even the best of the best lose SOMETIMES!!

Lately, certain kids brag about how their teams slaughter the other ones and how they have NEVER lost a game since they started playing sports. Or telling everyone that they win in EVERYTHING they do.

What are parents teaching their children? Shouldn't parents show or explain to their children that it is okay to lose. I think you can improve and try harder the next time.

Or sometimes kids say it was the referee's fault they lost. What do you all think? Am I wrong? Is it okay for teams to win by 40 runs? If I were the coach and my team was beating the other team by that many runs or points, I would back off and not rub it in. Has anyone ever heard of sportsmanship???

8 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

i totally agree with you! sports should be about the kids (and adults i suppose) having fun and playing to the best of their abilities

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I agree 100% with you. I try really hard to teach the kids winning is not everything.

Anonymous said...

My baby brother (now 19) was the star athlete in our town growing up and although we loved watching little league, jr football, etc, it was always full of drama. There were always some coaches that would do anything to win and would make total asses of themselves at games. And yes, sometimes it WAS the ref's fault, although not often, but that's part of sorts, accepting what the ref calls like it or not.

morewineplease said...

I hate to hear that too, losing is actually very healthy for kids.. humility and empathy come with it.. so sad

Cynthia said...

Some folks take sports to a level that I don't think is healthy for kiddos. I agree with you.

Lifeofkaylen said...

My sons coaches always had that rule--if you start winning by a LOT, they switch positions and the kids would play in a position they aren't used to/good at. And the star scoring person would be sitting out a lot. And the kids are pretty good about not letting on that they are pulling back a bit.

I think we have been really lucky though, as I've seen coaches who are just diehard "my team must win as much as possible" jerks.

Yellow Beads said...

I hated sports at a kid, I was always the "last one picked", ha.

K Storm said...

I wish everyone saw things the way you do. Even when the score doesn't really count, teams in the leagues are "hand picked" to be strong teams when the kids are only supposed to be learning the game.