Friday, December 5, 2008

Itchy, Itchy...Not Chicken Pox

'Tis the season to be thankful...falalalalalalala....

This school year in my classroom there has been chronic cases of kids who get lice. When I say chronic I mean chronic. I have had a student who has missed about 17 days due to this problem. It is horrible. We even called the health dept. so the family could get help with this problem. Yesterday while I am teaching a different student is scratching her head off like nuts...flipping her hair and scratching. I say "Poptart" why don't you go to the nurse and see why you are itching....I think winter has made your head dry and scratchy. (Don't want everyone to know I think ....hey you have lice). She comes back from the nurse and sure enough nits. I am itching now...thinking this "poptart" was flipping her hair on me and scratching like mad...what if I have lice now.

I tell my husband this story and he thinks I need to get checked and OMG if you bring these critters home, your school will need to hire someone to "bomb" our house and pay for the cost of this....blah, blah, blah.....

This morning my whole class had to get checked....I told them it is our turn to make sure we have clean hair. However the repeat offenders know exactly why....they call it getting checked for bugs. It turns out I have 2 kids in here with nits...noone is home to come and get them from school...so I have to suffer and pray these suckers don't hatch today. (The repeat offenders have it again!)

I got checked for ease my fears because I was going nuts....I am clean! No critters growing on my scalp. That is why I can sing Falalalalalalala LAAAAA!

P.S. They got picked up....now I can relax until Monday.

6 comments:

Adlibby said...

OMG! That sounds awful! The things that teachers have to endure... Our school had an outbreak last year and they were covering everything in plastic, the kids weren't allowed to bring backpacks to school anymore... Ugh! I shudder to think about it. Thank God my girls didn't turn up with them -- I don't think I could deal! Good luck to you!!!

Dr. Wifey said...

eeewww!

Kat said...

BAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
Lice is just so creepy. Just the thought of it makes me itchy. And the word nits? The worst!
So glad you are free and clear!

Anonymous said...

I hear you, sister!!

It's usually the same kids, isn't it?? My school has been clear lately, but the lice will surely rear their ugly heads again soon. I do the same thing you do. It's like I get an imaginary case and it drives me CRAZY!! I get an itchy scalp, and if I have a single dot of product build up or something in my hair I freak thinking I finally caught them!! So I have my sister, a hairdresser, check me over good and alas, the paranoia dies. Good luck!!

Yellow Beads said...

yikes, that is no fun at all!

Katie Ryan said...

That happens all the time at schools, so I hear from my sister the teacher.
So far I haven't had to deal with it, but I'm always scared to death of that.