Monday, August 18, 2008

Growing up Too Fast

My oldest daughter is entering Middle School this year. I am a nervous wreck for some reason. I had this dream that I secretly (or tried to be) attend classes with her. I wanted to be there to hold her hand or something. She is sometimes shy, so I have been trying to encourage her to be confident in herself and talk to kids to get to know them. That is such a hard thing because she thinks I am being insensitive or something. Everything I say or do lately can lead to tears for sure.

Anyways, the biggest dilemma I have been having for a while now is do I get her a cell phone? I want her to have one for my own peace of mind, but does she really need one? Is she going to suck all of my minutes up and break me on the texting that she may do? She tells me that EVERYONE has a phone....I don't think everyone...but a lot of kids her age do. So,today I am going to go and probally give in and do it. Peer Pressure ( I feel like it anyways).

Over the weekend we were awakened by some boys who obviously have cell phones that wanted to talk to her. (could tell by number) Mr. Handsome tried to be nice to them and say we would appreciate you not calling for A at Midnight!! You should call before 9pm. Kids....

There will be rules for usage and also leaving the phone in my room overnight...don't want to find her texting or talking at 2am.

7 comments:

Betsy Mae said...

Times sure have changed. Even though I don't want to be the kind of parent who gives into peer pressure, I could see myself buying my teen a cell phone (if I had a teen that is).

Laurie // 312 Beauty said...

I bet that most of her friends do have phones. This will be a fun experience for you guys!

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

This is a debate many parents face with cell phones. It seems that every child over 12 has one. I'm with you though the fact that everyone has one doesn't mean my kids need one, but then again if something happens and they need me, HELLO I want the best form of communication available. So I can understand you giving in, I probably will too.

I'm sorry but 12 at night hmmmm I would of hit the roof, I wonder if his parents knew. Wow I can see you being nervous....

Katie Ryan said...

Yeah, get her a cell phone. She's right, "everybody has one." I got my son one when he started middle school, and when I took him to orientation I was amazed at how many of those kids were whipping out those cell phones. Of course, him using it too much has never been a problem. He doesn't "talk to girls" yet. He's extremely shy when it comes to that.

Kat said...

I would say no to a cell phone. But that is just me. I am really old fashioned that way. I say they can get what they want when they can pay for it. Until then the home phone works just fine. ;)

Middle school is a big deal! How excited she must be!

Cynthia said...

I am not ready for these decisions...Oh and I'd be steaming over midnight phone calls! Good luck with middle school:)

Tammy said...

I didn't realize how much money a family plan would be. Yikes!

The midnight calling was just to find out what classes she had this year...tell that couldn't of waited until a reasonable hour.