Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Day From....

Today was the big day...dreaded surgery. You are probally thinking why is she blogging? You should be resting. I really am. I am sitting on my arse in front of the tv watching the Olympics and I feel mentally great. I am awake. So, since I can't do much else, I thought I would give a recap of my not so good day.

7am Arrive at hospital, get checked in, put on lovely hospital wear, and settle in the pre-surgery room.
7:30 am~Get asked a million questions, check blood pressure, and put the IV bag in. It took 3 tries before they could get it too go in properly. I have some bruising...thanks for the memory. :)

8:00am~ The anestilogist(spelling is way wrong I know) came in to talk to me about what he was going to do. It sounded fine...I wouldn't remember or feel any pain. Great...I hate to be in pain. Phew!

8:30 am~ The surgery nurse talks to me about things. Asks me a million questions. The Dr. is running behind. Great more waiting.

9:30 am~ Not to bad of a wait. I was scheduled for 9am. I put on the blue shower cap, get wheeled into the surgery room. The nurse injects me with a sedative and I am out. I don't remember a thing until I wake up coughing and taking very deep breaths. I was told at that point they were removing my breathing tube. I stay in recovery for about an hour.

10:30 am~ I am ready to go back to the Pre/Post operation room again. I am so hungry and thirsty. I haven't drank or ate since9 pm the night before. I drink some water, a sprite, and have some toast(that is all they would offer me) I really wanted FOOD people. I guess that's all they have...who knows.

12:00 pm~ Husband is sitting with me (bored out of his mind..he's been there the whole time) and looking hungry. So he eats real food in front of me ( I didn't eat it. I thought the last thing I need is to puke).

1:00 pm ~ I am ready to use the bathroom. They always say if you can pee you can leave. I was thinking how great that would be. I was so ready to go home. WHAT??? Yes, I have a major problem. My left left is still numb from the femoral block the Dr. gave me in surgery. They say it should wear off soon. Wait a while...can you hold it? Yes, I say.

2:00 pm~ Okay now I have held it for a lot longer. I haven't peed at all since 6:30 am. So now I need to go. However, I still can't feel my leg? What is the deal? The only answer I get is everyone is different. Be patient...I am f...ing paralyzed. How can I be patient. So after refusing the bed pan. They pull me out of bed and wheel me into the bathroom. ( I was blessed with a Graduate Male Nurse today...he was in training...so I feel like a total idiot).

3:00 pm ~ The nurses are chatting (small space) they seem to think I may have to stay the night. Crap I was thinking. I so don't want to do that. The Dr. comes in and has a talk with me about the numbing...all he can say is be patient. Give it 24 hours. WTF I am thinking. So, he decides he will discharge me because handsome husband was sitting there and he looks fit to handle all 120lbs of me. The doctor actually called him Handsome ( how funny or weird).

3:45 pm~ Finally, I am being released with Mr. Handsome and a brand new pair of crutches. What a way to spend the day. See I was thinking I would be home around lunchtime. Boy, was I wrong. Get to the car and on our way home. YES!

4:10~ Get home have to pee again (saline from iv, soda, and water it's time) I make my way into the bathroom with crutches. I must of forgot I have temporary paralysis so I stand....DAHHHHH I fall and hit my head on the tub. Mr. Handsome thought WTH were you thinking? I was crying at this point feeling like a total dummy.

5:00 pm ~ Dinner is served. My sister made the best Italian Beef for us. I was glad she did. I was starving. It sure hard to swallow after having a tube shoved down your throat. Thanks Trish for the great meal. She even took the younger 2 kids for a sleepover. It is sure quiet around here.

6 pm Still numb and feeling antsy. I will just keep taking pee breaks. It is such a pain in the arse for sure.

7 pm Still numb...can't walk yet. Feeling helpless.

8pm~ Typing my day to you all. Still numb and at one point wondered what rock was on my lap...dah it's my numb leg.

8:30 pm Done for now...still numb...going to now watch Big Brother 10. I love reality TV. So I will let you all know if I am one of the rare few that actually have this numbing for 24 hours. Until tomorrow.

3 comments:

Betsy Mae said...

wow, that's a pain, but it could be worse i'm sure. you know what, i have that happen at the dentist. he feels i'm allergic to the freezing and it lasts for a good 24 hours.

Betsy Mae said...

uhhh would have been nice if i was so self centred and wished you well, take it easy, rest, don't push yourself...remember technically if your husband wasn't so handsome (hee) you would still be at the hospital right? all the best.

Laurie // 312 Beauty said...

Haha, Mr. Handsome?! That's a good one.