Monday, June 1, 2009

Tears Flowing

Over Mother's Day weekend my sister's and I went to see the movie Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. While in the theater we saw a preview of the movie My Sister's Keeper. Within minutes of that preview we were all sobbing. So, I decided I would like to read the book before the movie came out.

I picked up a copy of the book and finished it last night. I SOBBED liked crazy. There was a twist in the ending that I NEVER saw coming. For those of you that don't know what it is about, it is about a family whose middle child has a form of leukemia. There youngest daughter was conceived for the purpose of donating her cord blood, but over the years, her sister needed to help her with bone marrow and other types of treatments. The youngest daughter is feeling like she can't live her life because of what their family is going through. The oldest child who is a boy is a rebel and is always getting into trouble. This book had me hooked all the way through. I never thought it would end the way it did. I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read it. But this book is AMAZING and I hugged and kissed all of my kids last night and will make sure to do so everynight. It makes you appreciate what you have and how quickly things can change.

I can't wait for the movie. I am going to read some more of Jody Picoult's books. I am a HUGE fan of reading, especially during the summer when I have more time. Any suggestions?

10 comments:

Tricia said...

Can I borrow that?

Anonymous said...

I have had that book for 2 years but have yet to read it.... it seemed so sad that I couldn't bear to start it. And now, being prego, I am not sure my emotions could take it.

I suggest:
Bitter is the New Black
(you will hate the author at first, but keep reading, it's very funny)

The Other Boleyn Girl
(or any of Philippa Gregory's books about the Tudors- awesome!!!)

Twilight
(If you haven't already)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and today was our last school day!!!! YIPEE!!

justme said...

i read tenth circle by jodi p and liked it. just read anita shreve's testimony and liked it

Dr. Wifey said...

sounds sad. i have looked at the book a couple of times but didn't buy it....maybe i will. To go along with Mrs. D's suggestion, A Pretty Fat is by the same author as Bitter is the New Black. it was funny. i LOVE the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich, One for the Money, Two for the Dough, etc. they are laugh out loud funny!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I am half way thru it and love it! Glad you didn't say more.....

Susan said...

Thanks. I am always looking for a good book.

Cynthia said...

I have seen previews for that movie. Looks like a heartbreaker...I don't know if I can take it.

morewineplease said...

SOLD!! I will put this on my "to read" list!
thanks!

Kat said...

That sounds so good, but I'm not sure if I can get through it. I have a hard time reading about little kids struggling with illnesses, or getting hurt, or kidnapped, or anything bad really. It may give me nightmares.
Maybe I should try it anyway. It sounds like a good one.