Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fall From Grace...NOT

How do you take a great workout and turn it into a call for 911. Well, that is how I felt yesterday...I feel like a complete idiot if you will.

I am in really good condition. I do many different type of exercises. Yesterday in class we set up the boards to do some jumping squat type of thing. It is great. You jump up on your board and repeat for a series of reps. Usually no big deal...I actually am really good at it until my mishap.

Here I am jumping onto my board and if I were in slow motion or something. I miss my step, kick the board off the risers, fall into the guy in front of me (yes he caught me), I walk out of the work out room because I am a bit embarrassed, but also my foot is starting to hurt.

I walk out and within 30 seconds I've got the entire class in the hall. First, one girl tells me to sit and the next thing you know I've got a ball under my foot (they want me to elevate), they take off my shoe, the instructor comes running out with a first aid kit. She was looking for an ice pack.

No luck, so a couple of girls run to the desk to get an ice pack because apparently they are medical doctors and I broke my foot. They are seriously shouting "It's swelling!" Do you have your cell phone? We need to call someone because you can't drive home.

During this madness, I am trying to convince this team of medical professionals that I am fine and that it is sore and I will be fine. I just need to walk it off. NO! You can't...it could be broken. I think we need to have someone walk you to your car. Thank goodness it isn't your driving foot. They are telling me that I should go get it x-rayed. I am thinking if it was broken it would hurt very badly and it would of been black and blue and swollen.

I convince them that I can walk...because one of the guys in the class said he would carry me out. OMG!! I am thinking at this point. People I AM FINE!! Just sore and feeling mighty dumb.

At least I got my hour in, I missed the toning portion because I couldn't of stayed if I wanted too, they were rushing me out of there as quick as possible.

I get home and hubby is wondering why I am home early...he gets a good laugh out of it. I tell my sisters about this because I tell them I hope I don't run into anyone while we are out to lunch and shopping. And wouldn't you know it...I did run into someone from class.

I tell her that is was blown WAY out of proportion and I am fine. It is just a little sore. She is actually one of my friends so she understood about how these nut jobs went way overboard and made it like an ER seen or something. She told me some of the comments were "Looks like her 5K season is done for." WTF? I have a season now? I am some sort of pro runner? Seriously people.

Today, my sister tells me that she ran into someone from my workout class at church and she is telling her how concerned everyone was and wondering how I am...blah blah. She tells her that I am fine and am so embarassed and that everyone turned it into a huge deal. The girl says it was a huge deal and that any one of us could of fell because it is such a crazy exercise and when the class is that packed, it gets nuts.

I am going back to this class Monday night. I am feeling funny about what everyone might ask. I am not in the mood to answer questions or have people be medical experts. I am just fine. In fact, I worked out today. Yes, my foot may a little sore in the spot where I biffed it, but it will be fine.

8 comments:

justme said...

ok is it wrong that i am laughing. go and get it over with. get there right when it starts and just say i am fine, now let's work out !!

Dr. Wifey said...

i hate when people make a big deal like that!

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

LMAO sorry but you cracked me up with the ER wonta be's. The worst part to me is everyone asking around town. Thats what sucks about living in a small town...everyone got to get involve.

Well I hope tonight goes better OH and ..don't break a leg this time :)

Yellow Beads said...

oh no, what craziness!! Glad your foot is okay...(BTW, I am giving away a pair of $80 sunglasses on my blog this week so come check it out if you get a second).

Penny said...

How funny. Not funny that you hurt your foot, but the class reaction was funny. Good luck going back.

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I hope your foot is better.

Kat said...

I think we all know what great shape (just looking at your pic you can tell!) you are in, so definitely don't feel clumsy or silly. It happens to all of us. I'm just glad it turned out okay. Whew! ;)

When I was in my early twenties I was playing soccer with my boyfriend (who was recruited by a pro team and had played since BIRTH). He told me to back away from the goal cuz he wanted to kick the ball as hard as he could. I told him I would but as soon as he kicked it I went to block it and didn't make it quite in time. My foot wasn't tensed and the ball hit the tip of my toes bending my whole foot backwards super fast. I hobbled around a bit (seeing stars) and then acted like I brushed it off (I'm such a toughie). I immediately drove home and had to push the gas and break peddles down with my left foot. My foot was SO swollen by the time I got home. It turns out I tore all the ligaments in my ankle. I couldn't walk on it for a week. Nice.
Silly how easily you can get hurt from something so simple.

Cynthia said...

I would have died. Nothing to see here people...I so get how you were feeling. Way to get back on the horse, go get 'em!