Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bye, Bye, Barley...

I've been doing some thinking about what to do this year for the Lenten Season (is that the right way to say it). In years past I would give up things like candy, donuts, and chocolate. That really doesn't apply today because I don't really eat those things anymore. I may have a piece of chocolate, but I can't even remember the last time I ate a donut.

In more recent years I haven't really given up anything...but tried harder to really not eat meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays. I am not a fish person at all and when you go out to dinner to a burger place..what to do? I've been so good the last couple years. Today I made myself an egg salad sandwich for lunch. I even made enough to have Friday too.

As I was thinking or you could say dreaming last night what would be hard and a sacrifice for me to give up this year. Something that is going to really show how much self control I do have. I decided that I am giving up my weekly "Thirsty Thursday." I usually will have a couple of barley pops during my Thursday night shows. I look forward to it every week. It will be hard to give this up for 6 weeks, but I am going to do it. I was thinking maybe I will even lose a pound or two. I will also have cocktails only 1 day out of the weekend and not both.

I sound like I have a problem with alcohol, I really don't, I just really enjoy the flavor of it all.

5 comments:

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Good for you! I don't think I am that brave....I like my cocktails to much (now it sounds like I have the problem)!

Dr. Wifey said...

i am trying to decide what to give up...

Kat said...

I agree. That would be hard to give up. I know how I used to look forward to a mixed drink once a week or so.
I am really concentrating on my temper. It has been pretty good lately, but it can always be better. I need to watch my tone with the boys and speak with more kindness, I think. Especially when I'm angry. ;)

morewineplease said...

Good for you! I will be really interested to hear how it goes... I dont think I could give up the wine...but I think Jesus is ok with that too :)

Betsy Mae said...

I haven't given anything up, I never have.....felt ashamed when all of the moms were telling me what they were giving up and what their kids were doing.

PS-You don't sound like you have a problem with alcohol either.