Thursday, April 30, 2009

Heartaches

There has been so much going on lately that I haven't had the time to post at all. I've been trying to keep up with reading my favorites, but at times that becomes difficult. It seems that every year around this time I find myself swamped with things to do and get done.

There are 28 days left of school...that is crazy...but I love it.

This week there has been things that have left me heartbroken and sad for many reasons.

For one, there is a little boy in my class who's family is going through a really hard time. His mother was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease. The family found out last summer and decided not to tell their kids (younger ones) that this was going on in their family. Over the month of December they took a whirlwind family vacation and literally toured the US because they knew that their Mom would most likely not be around for this again and be way too sick to travel. The young kids in this family still didn't know why they were doing all of this.

In the last few months, she has completely deteriorated and now is in a wheelchair unable to communicate, eat on her own, or walk. I still don't know if the little boy knows of the situation. He knows his Mom is sick, but he doesn't understand. He broke down and starting crying yesterday at lunch and he still refused to say there was anything wrong. My heart is breaking for him. He is 8 years old and is going to lose his mother. I want to help this family. I will even take time out of my busy life and watch him play baseball. He needs a little cheering.

Now the Mom is in the hospital. Not sure what is going on, but the kids are not at school today. Again...heartache for them and their family. I have been praying for them and thinking of them and hoping that this sweet, little boy can open up someday and talk about what he is feeling and thinking.

After that story I can't write much more for now. Crying people...crying.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awful. No child should grow up without a parent. I'm sad for you and him, too.

Dr. Wifey said...

aw, that is such a sad situation. i cannot imagine. i pray the little boy and his family will find peace

Kat said...

Perspective.
Yep.
This puts my whining in perspective.

Lou Gerhigs is such a HORRIBLE disease. I am so sad for that family.

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I'm so sad....I wish I could do something for him/them. Keep us posted.

Wacie's Way said...

Oh, that poor family and that little boy . . . heartache. God has put him in your class for a reason.

Tricia said...

prayers to the family, hang tuff Tammy he will need that.

Cynthia said...

That is just heartbreaking:(

morewineplease said...

That is heart breaking, I am so sorry for that family. You are an awesome Teacher!

Penny said...

I'm so sorry. That is really sad. I, too, will keep him in my prayers.

Betsy Mae said...

Tammy, I'm catching up on reading blogs tonight and I was planning on doing the meme you tagged me for so long ago and here I am heart broken. ALS took the life of an old friend of mine a year ago and another family friend four years ago. It's a horrible illness. I feel sickened thinking about this little boy, his siblings, his father and god...his mother too. I want you to know that I feel sad for you too. It can't be easy to be a teacher to a child going through such a situation. I will have this family in my thoughts way up here in Canada.