Thursday, August 6, 2009

Oh Get Over the Feeling

Some of you may already know this, but I am training for my first half marathon that is scheduled for Sept. 13th in Chicago. I printed out a training plan and have been following it pretty religiously. However, lately I have been feeling like this whole thing is becoming more of task that I HAVE to do, rather than running for pleasure and exercise.


I go to bed at night thinking of the miles I must run in the morning. What route I should take and what time is the best to go...blah blah blah.

Is this a normal feeling when training for something this big (at least this is HUGE to me) running 13.1 miles use to be so far out there, I could of never imagined, but now I know that
soon it will be here and I will be fine and I will do it, but first I need to get over this love/hate thing I have going on.
This is a photo at the expo for the Trek Tri I did in July...I was happy and ready and that is where I want to be again!

Sidenote...As a runner do you feel like certain drivers don't care if you are there or not? Like they look at you like you are taking up there road and they have ALL the rights? I feel like I am very considerate when I run...I run facing traffic, I get over when there is a car approaching. I even run on the gravel. I AM SO CONSIDERATE! This morning this crazy woman pointed at me and told me to move over...I was as far over as anyone could get on the road. I was practically running into people's mailboxes. What is wrong with people? I even think half the time they don't see me because they are too busy texting, talking, or whatever. I guess I need to start wearing blaze orange on the roads!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if that's the feeling people get when training for something like that, I've never done anything of the sort. But I'd guess that it is normal. You are on a regimen and no matter how much you want to succeed the training part will become dull or "work". But I'm sure it'll be worth the end result- keep it up!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Oh god yes when I am in training for a half marathon I always feel like it's a second job. I always say never again it's just too much and then I always do another one just crazy I guess.

We have a set route here for training and it is thru some very small quite areas so I never really have to deal with cars that much....which I guess after what you wrote is a huge plus!

Dr. Wifey said...

considering i have never trained for a marathon, i can't help you out with that LOL keep up the hard work though. just think - you will be running a 1/2 MARATHON! that is quite an accomplishment. heads up hun :)

Kat said...

I think getting into a rut is very common when you are training. You just have to push through. It will pass.
And YES. Drivers are very inconsiderate. I can't tell you the number of times I was almost hit crossing the street (i run on the sidewalk). So scary.
And pet owners too. I have been chased by so many stinking dogs. Grrr.

Keep up the good work! :)

Poolside with the Girls said...

What's with these drivers? When I see someone on the road doing whatever they are doing I move the heck over, slow down and make sure I don't kill them.

Pedestrians have the right of way. Period.

Susan said...

What you are feeling is VERY normal.

You are doing a great job and you will have so much fun in Chicago!!

Yes, drivers are crazy! I swear 1/2 act high or drunk and that really scares me!!

Cynthia said...

Oh man...I know the feeling on both fronts. You know last year I trained like a maniac for my St George Marathon. I finished, but it was a miserable race:P I've been burned out on running ever since. I tried to get my mojo to train for one this summer, and it just never came. I've been swimming instead, and quite happy with it. Running mojo comes and goes.

As far as drivers...they always suck, and never watch out for runners:(