Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dilemma

For any of you that have been reading this blog for a while know that I am an exercise fanatic. I run, bike, go to classes, weight lift, etc. We are members at the Y and really have liked it there. There is a indoor track, workout equipment, classes, a new pool that will be ready for use in a matter of months, and discounts for sports for the kids.

This is my dilemma......I have been going to the same work out class for about 4 years. The instructor I have is amazing. She is powerful, motivating, and knowledgeable in exercise. I've met a lot of great friends by going to this class, they really have become like a family. We talk, sweat, and motivate each other.

The dilemma is this...my instructor has left the Y and has opened her own gym. I HAD to join this gym because HELL I can't walk away from this. It's like having your own personal Jillian in your face. I LOVE IT! Hubby thinks I am nuts because we DON'T NEED another membership to pay for. I've tried to explain my reasoning for wanting to do this. When I found out she was leaving the Y to open her own place, I was very stressed about it. The opening special was 99.00 for 3 months of unlimited classes. So I did it. It really isn't a gym, more like a dance hall with equipment and room to do step classes, Zumba, aerobics, yoga, etc.

This is how I am going to justify it.
  • Limit my shopping obsession and only buy needs, not wants. For example I LOVE SHOES! I am even going to return a beautiful pair of heels because of this. Not the hot red ones that I already wore, but a whole different pair. They are really cute too. Damn
  • Plan dinner at least 5 out of the 7 days a week. ( Hubby does this...because I usually leave during dinner to go to class)
  • I am really not that high maintenance when it comes to my hair, so I can't go there.
  • Do my own pedicures.
  • Limited Shopping ( I think I said that already)

I will go to the Y and use the track, pool, and equipment. I may even check out the new instructors.

What would you do?

11 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

really if you break it down, that is only $33/mo, a little more than $1 a day. maybe try out the other instructors, then decide if it is worth it.

starnes family said...

I'm new to your blog, so don't know all the factors, but I can always recommend finding some place in your budget for something that makes you happy. And, it keeps you healthy! Just find a sacrifice and it will be worth it!

Anonymous said...

I think that since you actually DO exercise and stuff, then it's worth it. Just be sure to go to both so it's justified. And then be sure to mention lots of stuff through the month that you WOULD HAVE bought (but didn't), had you not rebudgeted for 2 memberships. Just make things up so it looks like you are really sacrificing. LOL.

Susan said...

I think it sounds great!

Go Girl!

justme said...

funny, my hubby wanted to join a gym and instead of joining the one i am at which is the high end one - he joined the Y, but he got a family membership so the kids would get discounted swim classes...so now i belong to 2 gyms ???

Wacie's Way said...

As much as you enjoy working out, you know you are going to get your money's worth. It's not like you are going to join and never go (like me :-)

Yellow Beads said...

Can you put aside $1 a day!? I mean serioulsy each and every day, throw some change in a jar and you'll be surprised how fast it adds up!

Betsy Mae said...

It's well spent money if you are using it!!! You can easily cut costs elsewhere and it sounds like you are willing to so go for it.

monicac2 said...

I can totally relate. I've had fitness instructors whom I would have followed to the moon!

Poolside with the Girls said...

I think that nothing is more important than your health & happiness and it's a small price to pay for both. 2 are better than none! I think this is a perfectly wonderful thing to spend your money on. If you were my wife I would applaud you. Not that I have a wife, or could have a wife, or would want a wife... you know what I mean!!!!

Kat said...

I think your hubby should be grateful he is married to a woman that takes such good care of herself. I think right now my hubby wishes I would join 3 gyms. Ha! ;)