Thursday, September 30, 2010

Do you Have What it Takes?

When I moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota my teaching license was not reciprocal. I need to take a series of exams and pass them before June 2011. In the meantime, I was given a one year temporary license so I can brush up on my basic knowledge of reading, writing, and math. I will also need to take 2 other tests that are in my field of practice.

So, I thought I better start looking into the tests and what I need to study and oh my is all I have to say.

Mind you, I graduated from college in 1991 and received my masters in 2001 and have been taking classes that are relevant to early elementary education, so when I saw what I needed to study, I thought I was going to pass out. I will share some of the basic knowledge examples and please tell me if I am being to dramatic on how hard it might be. I will bore you with a couple of math questions today.

Here goes.....

1. Five students are to present projects to the class. One of the students has asked to go first. Allowing for this request, in how many ways can the students be ordered for making their presentations?

a. 24
b. 48
c. 96
d. 120


2. A cube is built from a length of pipe 192 centimeters long. The pipe is cut into pieces of equal length so that each piece is the edge of the cube. Assuming no waste, what is the side length of the cube?

a. 16 centimeters
b. 24 centimeters
c. 32 centimeters
d. 48 centimeters


3. A piece of cheese in the shape of a right circular cylinder, as shown above, is divided equally among 9 people. What is the volume of each person's cylinder?

(top of cylinder measures 6 inches, the side measures 2 in.)

a. 2(sign for pie) cubic inches
b. 6(sign for pie) cubic inches
c. 12(sign for pie) cubic inches
d. 18 (sign for pie) cubic inches


Do you think you know the right answer? Let me know....I will post the correct answer tomorrow. I wonder if you will have as much fun as I did. :)

3 comments:

Kat said...

Oh good. Math. My favorite. NOT!!!
I plan on going back to school (perhaps for nursing) and I am NOT looking forward to the math classes. Ugh.

sarah said...

i think i could get #1 and 2. #3 ... no way ;) good luck!

sarah said...

oh ... and #1 ... i wouldn't be getting it the way you are supposed to. i would be taking and writing every possibility down :) HA HA.