Tuesday, January 25, 2011

MTLE Madness

Eventhough I've had my teaching license since 1991. I am in the process of studying for the MTLE (Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examination). I have a Wisconsin teaching license and when I moved last summer, my license did not transfer and I have to be subjected to a series of exams to get my license.
I think it sucks and everyday I study and dwell on this and still think it sucks. I have 19 years of classroom experience and my master's degree in education and have taken many workshops, etc. etc.
The stuff on the MTLE is so hard because I haven't had some of these math things since high school. I don't teach high school math or even middle school math, why oh why do I have to do this?!!! Uggghhhhhh....
There is nothing I can do to change this, so I have to deal with it and embrace it. I took 3 practice tests so far and each time I take it, I keep getting better. (hopefully that is a sign). For the next 3 weeks, I am going to be studying like crazy....because after I take the Basics(haha...because I think it so far from being basic). I will have to take 5 more tests just to get my license. I have a temporary license and hopefully with my dedication and DETERMINATION I will have a full time teaching job come this fall. Because after all....that is my passion!!

7 comments:

Susan said...

That really sucks!
However.....you can do it!! Thank goodness there are such dedicated and excellent teachers like you. The state of MN should be very proud!

Unknown said...

You can, without a doubt do this. I must also say that it is incredibly STUPID that you even have to be worrying about something such as this. Once you have been in the classroom for many years, have a proven track record and have a masters in education I believe you are more than qualified to be in the classroom. One of the problems in my state (Texas) is that many of those coming out of college with a degree in education are not able to "teach" even at the most basic level. Those who graduated 15 to 20 years ago are doing great. Many from the last 6 years or so...horrible.
You don't need luck so I will say hurray for the day that you will not have to worry about the darn test anymore!

Yuefen Deng said...

I am sucks too. I have trouble in reading and writing test,and I don't know where and how I can ask help. Could you tell me how you prepared for the reading and writing test? Thank you!You can reach me at
yuefendeng@gmail.com

Chris Anderson said...

I'm in a similar situation...moved to MN from MN and need to take the Secondary Pedagogy test...have you found an amazing LACK of study materials like I have?

Chris Anderson said...

How did you prepare? Let me know at anders1224@gmail.com with any tips! I take my tests on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

I am just disappointed that there is not a nationalized standard for teaching. It is difficult to move from state to state when there are different states that require different tests (MTLE, PRAXIS series, etc.) They finally have hard copies of study materials at Barnes and Noble. The electronic ones on the website are terrible. Don't waste your hard time and money!

Elizabeth Mary said...

I am in the process of taking the Basic Skills tests. I have done practice guides, but my comprehension and math skills without a calculator are not so great. I was just telling a friend today, "I want to teach birth- grade 3 and feel like you have to be Einstein to pass these tests!" I hope you passed them and found a teaching job for the school year!